Friday, November 27, 2009

Jonah's Prayer (2:1-9)

Jonah 2:1-9
1 Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from the fish’s belly. 2 And he said:

“I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
2 “Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.
3 For You cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the floods surrounded me;
All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight;
Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul;
The deep closed around me;
Weeds were wrapped around my head.
6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains;
The earth with its bars closed behind me forever;
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit,
O Lord, my God.
7 “When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the Lord;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
8 “Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay what I have vowed.

Salvation is of the Lord.”

10 So the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

Note: The following is an excerpt from a devotional commentary that I've been working on while reading the Book of Jonah, the Old Testament Book, and prophet whom Jesus cited (See Matt. 12:39-42).
Verses two and three then open Jonah’s declaration of the saving mercies of Almighty God. For though He afflicts He heals and restores people when they repent and return to Him. While Jonah’s declaration of looking towards the Temple in Jerusalem was in the Old covenant economy where God was to be sought (vs.4). Where sacrifice for the sin was to take place; both collectively for the nation of Israel and God’s people individually. As well where the Gentiles could seek God (1 Kings 8:41-43). But now in the New Covenant we do not look to a Temple when we sin, since God has provided something far better and far more enduring for us. God has commanded that we all look to Jesus Christ crucified, whether Jew or Gentile for that is where God has made the finial and everlasting sacrifice for all our sins (Heb. 10:14). God’s mercies are found freely there for all who believe or trust in Jesus Christ’s crucifixion death (John 3:15-16).

Have you then come to place of repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as Lord? If you have, but have not yet invited Him into your heart and life please freely do so. By saying a simple prayer in faith inviting Jesus Christ into your heart and life you can be forgiven all your sins and begin a new life with God. Simply pray something like this: Dear Lord Jesus I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You were crucified for my sins remission and that You rose from the dead for my justification, so that You could impart new and everlasting life into me. Therefore I now invite You into my heart and life to be my Lord and Savior, in Jesus' Name, amen.

Scripture Quotations
The Holy Bible, New King James Version, (Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, Inc.) 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment