Friday, August 17, 2012

Exodus 6:1-9

With Pharaoh having rejected the Word of the Lord that Moses was commanded to speak to him; which Moses thought would bring immediate deliverance for Israel (see Exodus 5:22-23), yet did not as Moses thought God would make it happen then. And so with Moses likely feeling dejected in seeing Pharaoh rejecting God's Word and continuing to oppress the Israelites, will now have God reaffirm His plans and purposes for His people to him. For God fulfilling His Word is never restricted or hindered by anyone who sets their will against His own (whether an individual, or an entire nation). Just as God's plans and purposes are neither altered, nor hindered, by those who set themselves against them. And so God reassures Moses that Pharaoh will indeed obey God's Word and Will for His people, when He wills it so (vs.1-2). Then God reaffirms to Moses all that He will do for His people. And to back this up the Lord begins with His Self-Declaration of His Sovereign Person. That the One who appeared to Moses in the burning bush in the wilderness is the One true God who also appeared to their fathers. And to verify this to him, He starts by recalling His own dealings with their ancestral fathers to whom He first revealed Himself to as God Almighty:

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh. For with a strong hand he will let them go, and with a strong hand he will drive them out of his land.” 2 And God spoke to Moses and said to him: “I am the Lord 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name Lord I was not known to them.  4 I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers.  5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant 6 Therefore say to the children of Israel: ‘I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments 7 I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians8 And I will bring you into the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as a heritage: I am the Lord.’” 9 So Moses spoke thus to the children of Israel; but they did not heed Moses, because of anguish of spirit and cruel bondage. vs. 1-9
 
Now notice there is not one clause where God says that something is dependent upon Moses or the Israelites to rescue or save themselves. For from the beginning God has placed it all squarely upon His Own Shoulders to fulfill His Word and thus free them from the Egyptians and return them to the Land which He promised their forefathers as an inheritance to them forever. The parallel between Gods dealing with the Israelites then, and us today is remarkably similar in that the salvation of God is always a work of God from start to finish as the Scriptures clearly state (John 6:28-29; Heb 12:1). All God requires of us is to believe and obey Him. For it is God alone who does all the work that is required to fulfill His Word regarding our eternal salvation (Rom 3:19-28). And so we are all, Jew and Gentile alike, commanded to enter His Rest (read Hebrews 4 and contemplate vs. 10) and thus cease from our own works (i.e. attempts to save ourselves by whatever means we would try to do that). And instead enter God's eternal rest by our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ crucified for our sins, and risen from the dead for our justification, so that we may have and experience peace with God.

I don't know where you are today in your faith journey but know this for certain no matter where you are it's all about what God in His love for you and me and just what He has done through His Son Jesus Christ to not only save us from our sins and the judgment to come, but also to bring us into a personal relationship with Himself, by which we know Him, and thus can obey Him in the Lord Jesus Christ by His Spirit dwelling within us. Everything else then that is obedience to God in the Christian life is really just an outworking of His life; Christ's life and Spirit working within us as we yield to Him. For God's salvation that brings remission of all of our sins and eternal life starts and ends with God. Therefore if you have not made that most crucial decision to receive the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart and life freely do so now (Rev 3:20). By a simple prayer of faith you can invite the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart and life so that He might not only save you from your sins and the wrath to come, but that He might also transform you and make you all that God ever intended you to be (2 Cor 5:17). If you believe simply pray something like this: Dear Lord Jesus I believe that you are the Son of God and that you came to die in my place, and that You rose again, then ascended to heaven so that you could restore me to life and peace with God. Therefore I now invite you into my heart and life to be my Lord and Savior in Your Precious Name Jesus amen.

Scripture Quotations
The New King James Version. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982

 

No comments:

Post a Comment