Monday, December 3, 2012

Ezekiel 20:10-12 Sabbath Rest


 10 “Therefore I made them go out of the land of Egypt and brought them into the wilderness. 11 And I gave them My statutes and showed them My judgments, which, if a man does, he shall live by them.’12 Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them.

 
Devotional
Now the Sabbath was not given so that man may think himself justified in the sight of God by his own observance of it. Rather the Sabbath was given as a sign between God and His people Israel so that they might know that it is He who sanctifies them. That is the point I'm emphasizing here, not the covenantal aspect of Israel's relationship to God by their observing it, which in the Old Testament economy was absolutely critical for them to observe it. Rather that the Sabbath was to teach Israel (and us all) that we are first and foremost dependent on God for our sanctification. For only He can sanctify us. That is what the Sabbath ultimately portrays and God commands of us all, to cease from our own works, that is every attempt on our part to do for ourselves what only He can do, and instead enter His rest by placing all of our faith In the Lord Jesus Christ (Heb 4:10). For it is He who both justifies us (Rom 5:1), as well as sanctifies us (by the Holy Spirit) the moment we believe in Him (1 Cor 6:11; Eph 1:13-14). For that is the only way we who are now bound to God by the New Covenant can truly obey God's commanded Sabbath Rest, by believing in His Son the Lord Jesus Christ and trusting what He has done to save us all, and thus place all of our faith, hope and obedience towards Him. For again that is why the Scripture commands us all to cease from our own works and trust in His (Rom 4:4-5; Heb 4:10; 6:1). For as Israel did not believe nor obey God when His Son Jesus Christ came to them declaring Good News and ushering in the commanded everlasting Rest, so God said to them all who did not believe:"I swore in My wrath they shall not enter My rest".
Therefore I urge you all to receive the grace of God, given freely to us all, by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, crucified for all our sins remission and raised from dead for our justification. So that you may enter God's eternal Rest. For we who have believed do enter that rest (see Heb 4:1-3).

If you have not yet made that critical decision to receive the Lord Jesus Christ (John 1:12) and submit yourself to Him as both your Lord and Savior, please do so now. For the Scripture says that it is the Lord Jesus Christ who is the Author of eternal salvation for all who obey Him (Heb 5:9).
Therefore by a simple prayer of faith, by asking Jesus into your heart and life, you can enter God's commanded Rest and take the Lord Jesus Christ's yoke upon you, which is not a man made religious yoke, but a yoke that binds you to walk in step with Him, by which you will find rest for your soul (Matt 11:28-30). Therefore if you believe and want to receive Jesus simply pray something like this:
Dear Lord Jesus I believe that You by the Will of God were crucified in my place, so that I might have remission of all my sins. Then you rose again from the dead, having conquered death, so that You might impart Your new and everlasting life in me, by Your Spirit, the moment I believe in You. Therefore I confess that you are Lord, the fulfillment of all of God's Word and plans and purposes, for You are Savior and Judge of all. And so I invite You into my heart and life, to be My Lord and Savior, so that I might freely submit myself to You in Your discipleship, and that You might work Your Will in and through me. In Your Precious Name Lord Jesus Christ, amen.
 
Scripture Quotations
The New King James Version. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982

 

No comments:

Post a Comment