Thursday, June 18, 2015

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Commentary
Preamble: Here the Apostle Paul carries over his thought that though he is free to govern his own conscience, and he has rights and privileges as an Apostle of Christ, yet he does not make demands on others through them, rather he endures all things for the Gospels sake (see 1 Cor. 9:18). Thus instead of using his liberty to please himself, Paul uses it to try to win others for Christ. And that is the premise put forth here for us all to follow.  

Vs. 19 "For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more"

Truly every Christian is free from all men. That said, this freedom of ours is to be governed by the Word of God, and thus rightly applied to our lives by the Spirit of God who guides us into all truth through it. And so though Paul was free from all men, he made himself a servant to all men that he might win the more. Thus Paul could move freely in, and freely out of, Jewish or Gentile circles because he wasn't set on pleasing himself, or anyone else, who might have forbidden him from doing so. Instead Paul's focus was on how he might make himself of service to all men, so that he might win them for Christ.

Vs. 20-22 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 

And so when Paul was in the company of Jews he became a Jew, that is he lived according to their customs, spoke their language, and basically made Christ as accessible to them as best he could. Same with those who were living under the Law, the Apostle Paul did not flaunt his Christian liberties before them, instead he respected their doing so, and lived as though he himself were still under the Law. Only in regards to justification, where converted Jews tried to compel believing Gentiles to live under the Law to be saved by being circumcised and keeping it, did the Apostle Paul take a stand (see Acts 15:1-35; and Acts 21:15-25, vs. 24). Similarly when the Apostle Paul was amongst Gentiles who had never heard of the Law and all of it's Sabbath's, Feasts, and various dietary ordinances, Paul lived as though he was without law, which does not mean that he lived without Law towards God (that is Paul did not cast away the moral statutes that God has bound all humanity too, (see Rom 1:18-36). Instead he lived under law toward Christ. That is whether amongst Jews or Gentiles the Apostle Paul kept Christ's commandments, which transcends all laws and cultures. And so Paul's assimilating with the peoples wherever he dwelt (whether amongst Jews or Gentiles) was so that he might win them for Christ.  

The Apostle Paul continues this theme of self denial in verse twenty-two by saying, "to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak", which is the perfect reflection of Christ who though All Powerful took on weak and ordinary human flesh and willingly entered into humanities weaknesses (consider Matt 8:14-16). Which is not just physical weakness or infirmities, but all of the brokenness that is fallen humanity (Isaiah 53:1-12). And so when we were without strength Christ died for the ungodly (Rom 5:8), of which we all once were, or currently are, until we repent and believe in the Gospel. Thus the Apostle Paul did not boast of his own "strengths" in whatever ways he seemed "strong." Instead Paul readily admitted to his own weaknesses to identify with those who are weak, in whatever ways they are weak, in an effort to win them for Christ. As Paul says, "I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some." Think than how you yourself individually, or your congregation collectively, might use your liberties In Christ in healthy and positive ways to become all things to all people, that you might also save some. 

Vs. 23 "Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you."

Thus the Apostle Paul's ministry work was not something he did as an independent entity. Rather the work he did was in union with the church, and his desires to be partaker of Gospel with them. For no one In Christ is independent of another, God has so designed it that we all need each other for the Body of Christ to function well. Therefore let us all in harmony and love work together in bringing the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to everyone, everywhere, in every circumstance of life.

Scripture Quotations 
The New King James Version. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982.

No comments:

Post a Comment