Sunday, November 1, 2020

John 20:11-18

11 But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb. 12 And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. 13 Then they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” 14 Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” 16 Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher). 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ” 18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her. 

Commentary 

Vs. 11But Mary stood outside by the tomb weeping, and as she wept she stooped down and looked into the tomb.” 

 Even though John and Peter had departed Mary remined at the Tomb weeping for her Lord and Savior, for to her mind then He had been stolen away. Now as she remained there weeping Mary stooped down and looked into the Tomb, maybe thinking that she would see Him? 

Vs. 12And she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.” 

 Now when Mary did, she saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at thee feet where the body of Jesus had lain. 

Vs. 13 13 Then they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” 

 When Marry did this the angels then asked her why she was weeping, and Mary still caught up her grief said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” 

Vs. 14Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus.” 

 Now when Mary said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she still in her grief did not realize that it was Jesus. 

Vs.15 15 Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” She, supposing Him to be the gardener, said to Him, “Sir, if You have carried Him away, tell me where You have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” 

 Now when Mary saw Jesus, He asked her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” But Mary supposing Jesus to be the gardener and not yet recognizing Him (for she had not turned to look at Him yet) only wanted to know if he had removed Jesus’ body and if  so where he had lain Him, so that she might take Him away. Mary’s devotion to Jesus and desire to see Him only treated with dignity is incredibly moving and compelling. 

Vs. 16Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Him, “Rabboni!” (which is to say, Teacher).” 

 It is then at that moment that Jesus reveals Himself to her by saying to her “Mary”. Now when Jesus addressed her by her name, she turned to Him and immediately she recognized Him, and when she did Mary cried out Rabboni! (which is to say, Teacher). 

Vs. 17 Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ” 

 Now when Mary turned to Jesus and recognized Him, He said to her, “Do not cling to Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ ” Jesus then anticipating that Mary may try to take hold of Him as a mother would her son, now tells her not to do so, because though Risen from the dead He has not yet Ascended back to God His Father in heaven. Therefore, Jesus having appeared to Mary now tells her to go to My brethren and tell them, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God.’ Jesus then wants us all who believe in Him, and thus are His brethren, to know and believe that not only has He Risen from the dead, but that His Father is our Father and His God ours! 

Vs. 18Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that He had spoken these things to her.”  

 Mary Magdalene is now fully named so as not to confuse anyone as to which Mary Jesus had just appeared too. And so, having seen and spoken with the Risen Lord Jesus Christ she now comes with undoubtably great excitement and joy with the news to the other disciples that Jesus is Risen from the dead! Speaking all the things He told her to speak to them.

Scripture Quotations

New King James (1982):Thomas Nelson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment