Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Acts 10:24–33

24 And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 29 Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?” 30 So Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard, and your alms are remembered in the sight of God. 32 Send therefore to Joppa and call Simon here, whose surname is Peter. He is lodging in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea. When he comes, he will speak to you.’ 33 So I sent to you immediately, and you have done well to come. Now therefore, we are all present before God, to hear all the things commanded you by God.” 

Commentary 

Vs. 24And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends.” 

Peter along with the men sent to him at Joppa now all arrive at Caesarea. Now Cornelius in anticipation of their arrival had called together his relatives and close friends at his house. 

Vs. 25-26 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 

Now when Peter entered his home Cornelius met him and feel down at his feet and worship him, however Peter would have none of that, and so lifting him up he said to him, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” In Peters words then is not only an acceptance of Cornelius as one equal to himself, but also by his saying as much there is a rebuke and a refute of any notions of making prayers to the saints or Christ’s chosen apostles. For we do not bow to each other or worship each other we bow to the Lord Jesus Christ alone. 

Vs. 27And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together.” 

Having alleviated Cornelius fears, and received him as a man just like himself, Peter talked with him, now as he went in Peter found that there were many who had come together in Cornelius house.  

Vs. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean. 

When Peter saw all the Gentiles gathered there, he begins by also putting their fears or uneasiness to rest, by saying to them all, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.” Therefore, Peter makes it clear to them all that his being there was the Will of God for them all. Peter’s understanding then of the vision God gave him (if he hadn’t understood it already) is now coming into clear focus. 

Vs. 29Therefore I came without objection as soon as I was sent for. I ask, then, for what reason have you sent for me?” 

Peter then having explained to them his justification for being there before them all, now asks them why they so urgently summoned him there. For as of yet he did not know of the angel who had visited Cornelius. 

Vs. 30-33 30 So Cornelius said, “Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard, and your alms are remembered in the sight of God. 32 Send therefore to Joppa and call Simon here, whose surname is Peter. He is lodging in the house of Simon, a tanner, by the sea. When he comes, he will speak to you.’ 33 So I sent to you immediately, and you have done well to come. Now therefore, we are all present before God, to hear all the things commanded you by God.”  

Cornelius now describes to Peter what brought him to seek him, by describing to him what happened to him while he was praying four days ago. That while he was praying an angel appeared to him telling him that God had heard his prayer and remembered his alms, and so now he was to summon a man called Simon Peter who was dwelling in Joppa at Simon the tanners house to come and speak words to him. Therefore, in describing these things to Peter, Cornelius tells Peter that he did not delay in obeying the angel of God but sent for him immediately, and that Peter has done well in likewise obeying God and coming to him (30-32). Having said as much Cornelius now tells Peter that he and those present in his house have all gathered together so that they all might hear all the things commanded him by God. A willing heart to believe and obey God then always precedes the salvation of anyone who will believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Scripture Quotations 

New King James (1982):Thomas Nelson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment