Monday, March 15, 2021

Acts 24:10–21 Paul’s Defense

 10 Then Paul, after the governor had nodded to him to speak, answered: “Inasmuch as I know that you have been for many years a judge of this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself, 11 because you may ascertain that it is no more than twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 12 And they neither found me in the temple disputing with anyone nor inciting the crowd, either in the synagogues or in the city. 13 Nor can they prove the things of which they now accuse me. 14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets. 15 I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust. 16 This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men. 17 “Now after many years I came to bring alms and offerings to my nation, 18 in the midst of which some Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with a mob nor with tumult. 19 They ought to have been here before you to object if they had anything against me. 20 Or else let those who are here themselves say if they found any wrongdoing in me while I stood before the council, 21 unless it is for this one statement which I cried out, standing among them, ‘Concerning the resurrection of the dead I am being judged by you this day.’ ”

Commentary 

Vs. 10 Then Paul, after the governor had nodded to him to speak, answered: “Inasmuch as I know that you have been for many years a judge of this nation, I do the more cheerfully answer for myself, 

When Governor Felix finished hearing Tertullus present the Jews accusations against Paul, he then turned looked at Paul and nodded at him indicating it was now his turn to speak. Now Paul in addressing Felix is neither discouraged, nor angered by the false charges that had been laid against him. Instead, Paul knowing that his person and life is in the hands of the Lord, he can now confidently state his case; (for even when rulers are unsound and unjust, the Lord can still render a sound and just verdict through them). And so, Paul knowing that Felix had been a judge of the nation of Israel for several years, and was versed in its laws, customs, and practices, now says to Felix in offering his defense, (without lawyer or expert representation), “I do the more cheerfully answer for myself.” For none of the disparaging words or false things that were spoken against Paul in falsely accusing him will move or shake him. For if they called the Lord Jesus Christ terrible things how much worse things will they say (and assume) of those who believe Him and obey Him, just as He said (Matt. 10:25). 

Vs. 11-13 11 because you may ascertain that it is no more than twelve days since I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 12 And they neither found me in the temple disputing with anyone nor inciting the crowd, either in the synagogues or in the city. 13 Nor can they prove the things of which they now accuse me. 

Now in answering the charges that Paul was a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes (which was a termed coined by the Jews to describe those who followed Jesus of Nazareth, and thus trying to make Christianity into some kind of cult), and that he had been orchestrating or plotting some kind of rebellion against either the Jews or Rome at Jerusalem, Paul states that it had only been twelve days since he had gone to Jerusalem, and not to riot, or “recruit”, (as they made Paul out to be doing), but only to worship the Lord (vs. 11). Having then debunked their false claims about him, Paul then states that while he was in the Temple they found him disputing with no one, (for he was there to take a vow, and thus consecrate himself to the Lord, and thus his purpose for being there was holy and peaceful) and thus he was not found inciting the crowds there, either in the synagogues, or in the city (vs. 12). For it was not Paul who incited the mob scene there, rather it was those there who spoke evil of his faith and person, who set the crowds there in an uproar against him, and so they are the ones who should be on trial, who so slanderously accused him of being and doing evil when he has done nothing wrong! Therefore, Paul knowing his own innocence and that they could prove none of the false accusations that they were slanderously making against him, now confidently asserts as much in verse thirteen. 

Vs. 14-16 14 But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets. 15 I have hope in God, which they themselves also accept, that there will be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust. 16 This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men. 

Having then refuted their false charges and claims against him, Paul now confesses that he himself follows God according to the Way, which was an acronym for the early believers and church (John 14:6), which again they had made out to be a dangerous “sect”. And yet by believing in, and following God’s Son Jesus Christ Paul was worshipping the God of His fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and the Prophets (vs. 14). Therefore, Paul had hope in God that there will be a resurrection of the dead, (just as they themselves accept and the Scriptures teach), both of the just and the unjust (vs. 15), just as Jesus Christ Himself has said (John 5:24-30). That being so Paul now says, “I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men.” Vs. 16 Which must then be our lifetime pursuit as well, because God will Judge everyone according to their works and their ways, and will reward and or repay each one of us accordingly. 

Vs. 17-21 17 “Now after many years I came to bring alms and offerings to my nation, 18 in the midst of which some Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with a mob nor with tumult. 19 They ought to have been here before you to object if they had anything against me. 20 Or else let those who are here themselves say if they found any wrongdoing in me while I stood before the council, 21 unless it is for this one statement which I cried out, standing among them, ‘Concerning the resurrection of the dead I am being judged by you this day.’ ” 

Therefore, Paul was not in Jerusalem to incite anyone, he was there delivering relief for the Christians in need there, and while there at the request of the church he went to the Temple to take a vow and sanctify himself because of the Jews, so as to show himself as one who lives orderly and keeps the Law as they do (vs. 17). However, while there in the Temple in the midst of his own native countrymen, some foreign Jews from Asia, (like the ones who persecuted him at Ephesus), saw him there in the Temple purified, and so they began to stir up the people there against him even though they never saw Paul with a mob or making a tumult there as he was falsely charged with here (vs. 18). Indeed, Paul says if they had something to charge him with then they themselves should’ve been there at this inquiry (vs. 19). And since they are not there to justify any complaint they have made against him, Paul now says let those who are there and present, who have come from Jerusalem say if they had found any wrongdoing in him while he stood before them at their Sanhedrin council (vs. 20). For there is nothing that they can charge Paul with, unless they try to charge him for the one statement which he cried out while before their Sanhedrin council, when he said, ‘Concerning the resurrection of the dead I am being judged by you this day.’ (Vs. 21). Which itself is a fundamental belief of Jews and Christians everywhere. Thus, Paul had offended neither the Jews, nor broken any Roman laws by saying as much.

Scripture Quotations 

New King James (1982):Thomas Nelson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment