Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Luke 22:14–18


 14 When the hour had come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him. 15 Then He said to them, “With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” 17 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”



Commentary
Vs. 14-16 14 When the hour had come, He sat down, and the twelve apostles with Him. 15 Then He said to them, “With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.”


With all things being now set in place for the Lord Jesus Christ’s betrayal and Crucifixion, He now declares His passionate fervent desire to eat this Passover with the twelve before He suffers, for at this Passover Jesus will not only He usher in the New Covenant (Luke 2:20), but most importantly it will signify by His keeping it how He will by His shed blood provide the everlasting Atonement for us all who believe in Him. Thus, at this Passover though terrible things still await Jesus, He knows that He will now make the way for His bringing us out of sin and Satan’s darkness and bondage, and into the Kingdom of God forever. The next time then that Jesus will keep the Passover will be with us all who believe in Him in the Kingdom of God!


Vs. 17-18 17 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, “Take this and divide it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”


The Lord Jesus Christ now takes the cup, gives thanks, and hands it to the disciples telling them to divide it among themselves, for by their doing so they are accepting His shed atonement for them. And so, when they had done so Jesus tells them that He will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes. For He does not need Atonement, only we do, therefore when He drinks of fruit of the vine it will be with us all in the Kingdom of God in eternal celebration and victory!


Scripture Quotations
New King James Version (1982): Thomas Nelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment